Gordita Breakfast Tacos involve adding the tortilla directly atop your scrambled eggs as they cook, then flipping and stuffing with all of your favorite breakfast additions to create an easy and foolproof breakfast option. I love stuffing mine with feta, spinach, and hot sauce, but you can also try swapping crispy chorizo or bacon, your favorite cheese, and other toppings such as sauteed peppers and mushrooms.
Important: These ratios are based on an 8 inch egg pan and 5 inch tortilla. If you have a larger saucepan, add 1-2 additional eggs to ensure your eggs aren’t spread too thin and ensure your tortilla is smaller than your pan diameter so you can easily flip it.
Makes 1 breakfast taco
- 1 tbs butter
- 2 large eggs, lightly whisked
- 1 tortilla (I use a 5 inch taco tortilla)
- Fresh cracked pepper and salt, to taste
- Optional fillings: sauteed vegetables like peppers and mushrooms, sauteed spinach, arugula, feta, hot sauce, and crisped breakfast meat such as bacon, chorizo, or crumbled sausage
- Warm a small nonstick skillet over medium-high heat and add butter, swirling to ensure the bottom of the pan is adequately coated.
- Add whisked eggs and spread evenly, then add your tortilla directly atop.
- Allow the eggs to almost completely cook, tilting the pan to spread any excess yolk to the edges.
- Once eggs are almost completely cooked, flip over so that the tortilla is in direct contact with the pan, and add all of your preferred toppings across the center.
- After a minute or two, use a spatula to fold your taco in half and press to adhere everything together.
- Transfer to a plate, top with your favorite hot sauce, and enjoy!