Finding and perfecting a go-to poke is highly personal and depends on your preference for spiciness, acidity, and herbs like cilantro and scallion. This recipe is a personal favorite of mine and can serve as a base as you tweak it to (your) perfection. I buy sashimi grade tuna frozen at Fresh Market for $3.99 a pound specifically for this recipe. If you’re not local to a Fresh Market Whole Foods typically has fresh options as well (albeit more expensive).
Makes 1 lb of poke
- 1 lb fresh ahi tuna, chopped into ½ inch cubes
- 3 tbs chopped scallions
- 2 tbs chopped cilantro
- 1 ½ tbs toasted sesame oil
- 2 tbs low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tbs fresh squeezed lime juice
- 1 tbs black sesame seeds
- Optional: Togarishi or your favorite chili sauce, 1 tsp grated garlic or ginger, 1 tsp yuzu sauce
- Add all ingredients to a medium sized bowl and gently toss to combine. Garnish with additional cilantro, Togarishi, and lime juice as needed.
- This is great as an appetizer with chips or your favorite sesame crackers. Alternatively, you can also use this to top rice and salad bowls for a balanced meal.