Meatballs are an elite dish because they perfect the meat to seasoning ratio. Rather than depend on heavily seasoning the exterior of a cutlet, for example, meatballs go one step further and combine everything to ensure an even and consistent flavor.
This recipe is similar to a kofte recipe, in that egg and breadcrumbs are omitted to let the seasoning speak for itself. These are perfect on salads, in wraps, or served solo with a side of tzatziki as an appetizer.
Makes 20 meatballs
- 1 lb ground chicken
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ tsp cumin
- ¼ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp ground oregano
- 2 cloves of grated garlic
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Handful of fresh dill, minced
- Optional: Pinch of red pepper flakes, pinch of minced fresh mint
- Combine ingredients in large bowl and use a fork or your hands to mix until combined
- Using a spoon or cookie scoop, scoop meatballs into 20 even sized portions (about 2 tbs each). Use your hands to roll them into smooth meatballs, if desired.
- Transfer meatballs to a parchment lined baking sheet and bake at 375 degrees for 20 mins, or pan fry over medium heat in olive oil for 4 minutes per side.
- Serve with fresh tzatziki, your favorite salad, or stuffed into a pita wrap.